Skip to main content
Home Self Help Register Out-of-State Orders
Home Self Help Register Out-of-State Orders
Register Out-of-State Orders
These standard instructions are for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice about your case. If you choose to represent yourself, you are bound by the same rules and procedures as an attorney.

  • How do I register my out-of-state estate paperwork in Colorado?
    • 1. Determine whether you meet the requirements to register your out-of-state estate paperwork in Colorado.
      • * If you were named as the Personal Representative of the estate of a deceased person in another state, and there are tasks that you need to complete in Colorado having to do with the estate, you can ask the court in Colorado to register your out-of-state paperwork.

        * You cannot register your out-of-state estate paperwork in Colorado if:
        1.  There is already a Personal Representative who has been named in Colorado, OR
        2.  There is a pending case to name a Personal Representative in Colorado

    • 2. Determine what information you need before you start your case.
      • * Before you start your case in Colorado, you will need authenticated copies of the following:
        1. The out-of-state court's order appointing you as Personal Representative of the estate.
        2.  The out-of-state court's Letters or other documents explaining what your authority is as the Personal Representative of the estate.

    • 3. Determine where to file your case.
      • * You should file your paperwork with the district court in the Colorado county where the property of the deceased person is located. To find a local district court, click on Courts by County.

        * If you are filing your paperwork in Denver, you will need to file in the Denver Probate Court.

    • 4. Fill out the paperwork to start your case.
      • * You (the person in charge of the estate) will be known as the Personal Representative and the person who has died will be known as "the Deceased" or the Decedent.

        Download and complete these forms:
        * JDF 929 Domiciliary Foreign Personal Representative's Sworn Statement
        * JDF 930 Certificate of Ancillary Filing - Decedent Estate


        * JDF 929 Domiciliary Foreign Personal Representative Sworn Statement must be signed in front of a Notary Public or court clerk. You can find a local Notary Public by looking in the Yellow Pages, on the internet, or by going to your local bank.

        * Make sure to attach authenticated copies of the out-of-state order from the other state naming you as the Personal Representative, and the Letters or other documents from the out-of-state court describing your authority as the Personal Representative.

        * Fill out only the top caption part of JDF 930 Certificate of Ancillary Filing - Decedent Estate. The court will fill out the rest.

        * Take your completed forms and other documents to the probate registrar at the courthouse. Give the forms to the probate registrar to file your case.

        * The court will ask you to pay a filing fee. If you do not think you can afford it, you can request a waiver of the filing fee by completing form JDF 205 Motion to File Without Payment and Supporting Financial Affidavit, and the caption box of JDF 206 Finding and Order Concerning Payment of Fees.

        * After your paperwork has been approved, the probate registrar will give you a signed, certified copy of JDF 930 Certificate of Ancillary Filing - Decedent Estate.

important announcement contact us   •   interpreters   •   faq   •   photos   •   holidays Menu Important Announcement Home Search Courts Probation Jury Self Help ⁄ Forms Careers Media Administration Contact us Interpreters FAQ Photo Gallery Holiday Schedule