Skip to main content
Home Courts By County Jefferson County FAQs
Home Courts By County Jefferson County FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions


What is the “one day/one trial” system? What are the legal qualifications for jury service?
Questions About the Day of the Trial What do I do if I lost my questionnaire? May I bring children to jury service?
How Was I Chosen for Jury Service? Why did I receive a jury summons when I don’t live at the address on the summons? Why do I receive jury summonses year after year, when other people don’t? How are jurors assigned to trials? How was I chosen for Jury Service?
Postponement/Disqualification What if I have a disability? If I have a felony conviction, am I eligible to serve on a jury? Do I have to serve on jury duty if I am a dependent of OR an active duty member serving in the military and do not claim residency in Colorado? What if I am a student? What if I am breastfeeding a child? What if I am in the military? What if I am retired? What if I have other commitments for the date I’m supposed to appear, how can I obtain a postponement for the jury summons I received?
Employer Related Questions Can I lose my job if I serve as a juror? How do I get proof that I was a juror? What if my employer doesn’t want to pay me for the first three days of service? Who will pay me for serving as a juror?


Are all adults and juveniles who are on Probation required to be supervised by the Probation Department? Are there sex offenders who are on Probation? Can a Probation Officer arrest anyone? Can Probation be transferred to another part of Colorado? Can Probation be transferred to another state? How can I transfer my Probation from another state to Colorado? How do I find out if someone is on Probation? How do I pay supervision fees and other costs I am supposed to pay? How does someone get on Probation? Is Probation the same as Community Corrections? Is Probation the same as Parole? What are the “Terms and Conditions” of Probation? What does the Probation Department do for victims of crime? What happens after I have been put on Probation by the Judge? What happens if I don’t do what I am supposed to do while on Probation? What is “Restorative Justice”? What is a Pre-sentence Report? What is Alcohol Probation? What is Drug Court? What is the AIIM Program? What kinds of offenders are on Probation?


Can I do other things, like take a driver’s education course, instead of pleading to a smaller charge to take care of a speeding ticket? Is it possible to watch a criminal hearing? I don't live in Colorado, but I received a traffic ticket in Gilpin or Jefferson county. Do I have to appear in court? My son or daughter received a summons. May I appear on their behalf? I paid my ticket within the 20-day grace period through the mail. My check/money order never cleared or was returned to me. Do I have to come to court? The 20 days to pay my ticket by mail have passed. May I still pay by mail and avoid a court appearance? How quickly can I get an OJW clearance letter?


I want more information about a charge that is on my background check. How do I change my court date? I can't afford to pay the filing fee. What are my options? I have a money, eviction, divorce, or custody case. Is it possible to have a public defender help me? I'm the respondent or defendant in a case that someone filed against me. What if I ignore the summons and complaint I receive? What is a notice to set or how do I set a hearing? Who can personally serve the person that I am suing with the court paperwork? The judge issued a judgment in a case I filed. How do I collect the judgment? Are there different or other forms for name changes submitted to the Jefferson Combined Courts? How long does a court hearing take? How do I pay my fines? What if I can't pay the full amount at one time? I've never been to court before. What will my day at court look like? I don't see my question. How do I get married by a judge? I don't understand how to fill out the protection order paperwork. This is not my case. Someone is using my name.

Divorce and Family Matters

I can't afford to pay my child support. What can I do? How do I get child support for my children?

important announcement Transparency Online   •   Contact Us   •   Interpreters   •   FAQ   •   Photos   •   Holidays Menu Important Announcement Home Search Courts Probation Jury Self Help ⁄ Forms Careers Media Administration Contact us Interpreters FAQ Photo Gallery Holiday Schedule