Skip to main content
Home Administration Court Services Interpreters Need an Interpreter?
Home Administration Court Services Interpreters Need an Interpreter?
Need an Interpreter?


Do you need an Interpreter or a Translator?

Interpreters and translators perform similar tasks, but in different ways.

Your Right to an Interpreter

If you speak limited or no English and are a party to a case (litigant, defendant, witness, parent, or legal custodian of a juvenile) you have a right to a court-appointed interpreter during court proceedings at no cost to you.  

Chief Justice Directive 06-03
Rules that govern the work of court interpreters in the Colorado State Courts.

Limited English Proficient

Who is a Limited English Proficient Person?

Persons who do not speak English as their primary language and who have a limited ability to read, speak, write or understand English can be limited English proficient, or "LEP." These individuals may be entitled to language assistance with respect to a particular type of service, benefit, or encounter.*

* "Limited English Proficiency", U.S. Department of Justice, 2005.

Determining the Required Service Provider

Before you Hire - Ask Yourself: "What are my Project's Language Needs?"
Determining the needs of your project, outlined by the Department of Justice Federal Coordination and Compliance Section

Intepreters for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
The Colorado Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing will respond to your questions regarding CART providers and ASL and Deaf Interpreters.

important announcement contact us   •   interpreters   •   faq   •   photos   •   holidays Menu Important Announcement Home Search Courts Probation Jury Self Help ⁄ Forms Careers Media Administration Contact us Interpreters FAQ Photo Gallery Holiday Schedule