· What is the difference between Legal Separation, Divorce & Invalidity (annulment)?
· What is the time frame to get an annulment?
· Do I have to file for divorce if I am common law married, and how do I know if I am common law married?
· I want to file for divorce right away. What is required to get my case started?
· The other party refuses to sign the paperwork. Can I file on my own?
· After I file my first forms, when do I need to have all of my other forms submitted by?
· Why can’t I get divorced right away? We haven’t been together for over 10 years?
· If we agree on everything, and sign the petition together, do we have to appear in court?
· Do I have to submit all of the forms like the Separation Agreement and Sworn Financial Statement even if we agree on everything, and/or have nothing to divide, and/or I haven’t seen the other party in 10 years?
· When I am divorced will the court notify me, and do I need a copy of my divorce decree?
Initial Status Conference Questions
· What happens in the Initial Status Conference (ISC) and what is it?
· Do both parties have to appear at the Initial Status Conference?
· What if I need to change the date of my initial status conference or am unable to attend in person?
Protection Orders Questions
· How do I obtain a restraining order?
· What if there is a restraining order between me and the other party?
Child Support & Custody Questions
· What if I only want to file for child support?
· If I am married and not ready to file a divorce can I just file for custody?
· How do I file for temporary custody of my children?
· Do I need to file for custody of my children separately?
· If I am a minor, and want to file for custody of my children, can I fill out and file the papers myself?
· Why do I have to take a parenting class?
Service of Process Questions
· What is “service”? How do I perform a service of process?
· What do I do if I attempt to serve the other party, but they cannot be found?
· How do I perform service on a Child, Including a Parent who is under eighteen years old?
· What if I’m serving a business entity, not an individual?
Questions about: Filing, Forms, and Information Access
· What does it mean when the clerk tells me that I must submit documents/forms using the “mandatory caption”?
· How do I keep my address and phone number confidential on my court documents?
· How do I get and emergency hearing?
· What if I am unable to pay the filing fees for my case?
Legal Representation Questions
· Can an attorney be provided for me by the court, or can I request a court-appointed attorney?
· If I give someone a Power of Attorney to handle my legal matters can they appear in court for me and sign court documents on my behalf?
Understanding the People in the Legal System
· What’s the difference between a Judge and a magistrate?
· What is a Family Court Facilitator, and what do they do?
· What is a Child and Family Investigator (CFI)