Job Series: Business Intelligence Developer
FLSA status: Exempt
OCC Group: Professional
Job code: R41840
Approval: Original signature of State Court Administrator approval available in the Human Resources Division, signed 1/24/2011.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
This position performs programming assignments at the strategic operating level for the Colorado Judicial Department. Responsible for system design, implementation, and administration of all components that make up the IBM Cognos Business Intelligence infrastructure to include designing, developing, and training in the areas of Report Studio, Query Studio, Analysis Studio, and Metrics Studio. Strategically design and implement data warehouse concepts such as data marts and data stores using IBM DataStage, while utilizing IBM Cognos to produce Business Intelligence solutions for Judicial and other State agency consumers.
Positions in this classification are distinguished from other positions by leading the Judicial Departments Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing effort. Responsibilities include advanced programming skills in the areas of SQL and stored procedures, data extraction, transformation, and loading, building logical and dimensional models, formulating complex queries, and developing complex reports and cubes using Cognos. This positions primary duty will be to lead the Department’s data warehousing initiatives by designing and building data mart solutions designed to meet the Business Intelligence needs of Judicial and other State agency customers. May directly supervise up to 2.99 staff. This position reports directly to the Senior JBITS Manager.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
- Direct, organize, train, and lead projects in the implementation and use of IBM Cognos and DataStage.
- Work with end users to identify, create, and deliver reports according to requirements.
- Develop the overall data warehouse architecture and physical implementation standards.
- Act as evangelist for BI benefits across the organization; promote BI usage to relevant departments.
- Administration of all components that make up the Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence infrastructure, applications and related tools including software installation, patching, configuration, monitoring, and tuning.
- Design, create and tune physical database objects (tables, views, indexes) to support logical and dimensional models. Maintain the referential integrity of the database.
- Develop and implement Data Warehouse data mart techniques for target structures such as Star Schemas, Snowflake Schemas, and highly normalized data models.
- Diagnose and resolve Data Warehouse access and performance issues.
- Design, code, test, and document all new or modified BI systems, applications, and programs.
- Create, organize, and maintain metadata layer and models using Framework Manager.
- Build and maintain Cognos Transformer Cubes.
- Develop web interfaces, graphs, and portals for components interacting with data warehouse processes using Cognos.
- Produce ETL design guidelines to ensure a manageable ETL infrastructure for the BI system using DataStage.
- Troubleshoot Cognos, DataStage, and all other relevant BI systems and software; performance-tune these applications as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Plans, directs and coordinates activities for Business Intelligence and Data Warehouse contributors, interns and/or volunteers. Duties may include scheduling and assigning of work, training in all facets of work, and quality control. May conduct performance reviews and provide input into and participate in discipline, dismissal, and hiring of volunteers and interns.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the above essential functions satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability, physical and environmental conditions required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
Candidate will have graduated from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor degree with two years experience in SQL and DB2 relational database design. Knowledge of the court system is highly desired.
Candidate will have a minimum of six years experience in SQL and DB2 relational database design. Knowledge of the court system is highly desired.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE and EXPERIENCE
- Strong understanding of IBM Cognos, including Report Studio, Query Studio, Analysis Studio, Metrics Studio, and Framework Manager.
- Knowledge of Data Warehouse methodologies and data modeling.
- Knowledge of IBM DataStage.
- Strong ability to analyze user requirements and build front-end Business Intelligence applications according to specifications.
- Knowledge of ANT scripting language.
- Sound Java or SQLRPGLE programming skills
- Advanced knowledge of SQL, including the ability to perform create, read, update, delete, inner join, outer join, nested select, stored procedures, and triggers.
- Individual must be highly self-motivated and able to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Strong understanding of relational database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conduct research into database issues, standards and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Knowledge of the court system and the ability to communicate effectively with all contributors to the Business Intelligence and Data Warehouse infrastructure as well as officials in the various courts and the Office of the State Court Administrator.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit; use hands and fingers to perform repetitive motions; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Occasionally handles emergency or crisis situations; frequently subject to interruptions, and multiple calls and inquiries.